Seasonal Flu vaccinations are available annually free of charge to the following patients:
- Over 65s and over born on or after 31st March 1956
- All children in specific groups:
- aged two and three on 31.08.2020(born between the 1st September 2016 and 31stAugust 2018)
- all children in Reception and school years 1 to 6
- all year 7 and secondary school children
- Patients aged from 6 months up to 65 years with a serious medical condition such as:
- chronic (long-term) respiratory disease, such as severe asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or bronchitis
- chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
- chronic kidney disease at stage three, four or five
- chronic liver disease
- chronic neurological disease, such as Parkinson’s disease or motor neurone disease, or learning disability
- splenic dysfunction or asplenia
- a weakened immune system due to disease (e.g. HIV/AIDS) or treatment (e.g. cancer treatment)
- morbidly obese (defined as a Body Mass Index score of 40+)
- All pregnant women (including those who become pregnant during flu season)
- People living in long-stay residential care homes or other long-stay care facilities where rapid spread of infection and high morbidity and mortality is likely
- workers in care and residential homes
- Recipients of Carer’s Allowance or main carers for an older or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if the carer falls ill
This list is not exhaustive and we may apply clinical judgement in offering the vaccine to take into account the risk of flu exacerbating a patient’s underlying disease as well as the risk of serious illness from flu itself.
Please note that our patients in the 50-64 year old age group with no underlying health conditions will not currently be offered a flu vaccination. This is to ensure that those who are most at risk are vaccinated first. If you are 50-64 and eligible for a flu vaccine because you've got a chronic condition which puts you at risk from the flu, you will be invited earlier and the appointment for the flu vaccine can be booked using online services. The situation will be revised later in the year depending on the vaccine availabilityand we will update our patients in due course.
To book an appointment, please use Online Services or phone the surgery on 01943 858300.
This year's flu clinics are organised at Bridge Street Surgery. Please find below the additional measures we've put in place to minimise the risk and keep our patients and our staff safe.